Friday, March 8, 2013

Mea Culpa...

I am so sorry that it has been so long since I have written. But I am sure you understand that it has been just a little crazy here. In addition to the already full schedule this module (Art & Architecture), we have been part of the happenings associated with Pope Benedict's retirement.

I am sure that some of you have heard my interviews on WOOD TV 8, but for those who haven't, it has been a wonderful opportunity to see the support and admiration for the Holy Father being expressed by Catholics from all over the world at St. Peter's Square during his last Angelus blessing and at his last Papal Audience. I was able to attend both...the crowds were enormous and so filled with appreciation for the eight year ministry of Pope Benedict. Now the Cardinals have all arrived and the Conclave will begin on Tuesday, March 12.

It is going to be so incredible to be in St. Peter's Square when the new Holy Father is announced...I can't wait!

But back to why I am really here....the beauty of Rome, Italy, and the massive amounts of incredible art. This module has allowed me to see first hand so many fabulous paintings, sculptures, and churches. I cannot begin to tell you about them all. Let me just say that it has been such a wonderful opportunity to just look at art and soak in the richness of vastly different artists seeking to help the viewer draw closer to God's divine beauty. My faith life has been immensely enriched by these depictions of Jesus, Mary the Mother of God, the Saints, and biblical stories. I just wish I could bring home a copy of all my favorites, but my walls and my wallet aren't large enough.

I also had the chance to travel to Montecassino to visit the site of the Monastery founded by St. Benedict, who wrote the Benedictine Rule. The Monastery sits high on the top of a mountain overlooking the town of Cassino. It was was an a prayerful and beautiful place, but boy was it cold that day....not Michigan cold, but bad enough to make me wish I had worn my long underwear.

This week we will begin the module on preaching...I hope to gain a few pointers. However, I honestly believe our hearts and minds will be focused on the happenings in the Sistine Chapel. I promise to keep in touch more in the coming days. Ciao!

















1 comment:

  1. You are right - such incredible art! Your pictures are beautiful and definitely inspiring. Thanks for posting.
    Kathy Faberge

    ReplyDelete