Friday, March 29, 2013

Holy Thursday

In the Diocese of Rome the Chrism Mass is celebrated on the morning of Holy Thursday at St. Peter's Basilica. When we arrived to vest, I was amazed by the number of priests present to concelebrate with the Pope. (By the way, this is the only Mass in which priests present get to concelebrate with His Holiness.). Over 1600 priests were present. It was amazing. Many were greeting other priests that they knew. I wasn't expecting to find anyone I knew, but that wasn't the case. I ran into a Vincentian I know, Fr. John Maher who works in Rome.

The liturgy was beautiful and Pope Francis' homily was excellent. http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-homily-for-chrism-mass-full-text

For the Mass of the Lord's Supper we went to St. Patrick Church across from the American Embassy in Rome. It was a very quiet liturgy which allowed for private reflection.

Tomorrow I will attend the Good Friday service in St. Peter's Basilica.



















2 comments:

  1. How I wish I could be there! What a great time of the church year to be at St. Peter's. Have a blessed Easter.
    Kathy Faberge

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful experience! I remember being in the Vatican for Holy Thursday Mass many years ago in college with Pope John Paul. How rich in history is our faith.

    ReplyDelete